Thursday, January 27, 2011

DIRECTOR DJ MALLOY SORTS OUT CONFUSION OVER PINNACLE RACE TRACK


This land was purchased before I sat on the board but I'll try to provide what I have gathered since...

Sault Tribe purchased 6.9 acres from, and adjacent to, Pinnacle Race Track for $400,000. There is an option for another 10 acre parcel next to the 6.9. We do not own or have a an agreement to buy any more land than what I've mentioned here. The sign placement issue that was reported looks to be in error. I have called people who are working the project and they maintain that the sign is indeed on the tribes land.

The tribe has submitted the 6.9 acre parcel to the BIA to be recorded as Restricted Fee Indian Land. Part of the requirement for such, is to demonstrate that the tribe owns and controls the land and that it will enforce tribal law on the property.

Now about the taxes and the 320 acres. I checked again this morning with Wayne County Treasurer site, as I did also in December, and there are still no taxes due on the Pinnacle property (18000 Vining Road, New Boston, MI). It is my understanding that we notified the local government last Fall of our intent to record the land with the BIA and take it off the tax role and then indeed submit it to the BIA.

I think some of the confusion, and I emphasize think, stems from the fact that when the deed was recorded, there were some mistakes made in how the Township listed the property description. Instead of the description denoting just the 6.9 acres, the description for the entire 320 was copied off the original deed.

This is what I believe to be true. I have asked many questions to different sources and so far this is the deal on our property in New Boston. If you have questions or documentation to the contrary.. please contact me. DJ Malloy, Sault Tribe Director-Unit One.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job. Appreciate the info..

Anonymous said...

DJ,
I do not know if you read this site but if so can you please provide the members with an email address other than the one at the Sault Tribe.net ? I have sent you several emails at that address and never received a response so I wondered if you were using a different one. Also, the Tribe can monitor all those emails sent through their servers and members may not want the tribal admin knowing what we send to our directors ! So if you could please do this it would be much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, guess DJ is going to be just as aloof as all the other board members. Half of them refuse to even make their cell phone numbers public even though the tribe pays for them. Using a tribal email address is about as useless as not having one at all. I had hoped for more from DJ.

Our right to make changes through referendum is the one voice we have left....use it.