Thursday, February 7, 2008

And The Good News Is....

With all the Doom and Gloom we are being subjected to by the majority of the Sault Tribe Board of Directors, the good news is that there is an election on the horizon. Even more good news is that the members are ready and anticipating change for the better.

The current directors up for re-election are all wearing a label stating exactly where they stand in regards to the Mackinac Bands and the At-Large members so no need to guess who to vote for
on that issue. Those same directors also seem to be in agreement with their position on forgiving Paquin for all his indiscretions such as alleged woman beating, sexual harassment and gaming violations and that is before the courts have had a chance to decide.

To make the decision on who to vote for even easier, those same directors don't want the new constitution but they do want Bernard Bouschor to be able to run again.....well at least 4 of them want BB back.

I have been asked to run and I think I might. The difference between me and those other guys is this:
1. I am a Sault Tribe member and a Mackinac Bands member so I know how it feels to be on both sides. I do not want the Mackinac Bands disenrolled and I don't want to see members wondering when they will be kicked out of tribal housing as well as having to worry how the will pay for health and dental care or the medications some need to survive.
2. I have lived for a few months with other At-large members and know how they feel about being treated as second class tribal citizens.
3. I see so many opportunities for business being lost to political grandstanding and opposition because the current board can't be bothered with such nickel and dime business opportunities. It is right there in front of their faces but still, politics is taking a front seat over everything else that matters.
4. I'll take half the paycheck the current board is getting paid and have the rest placed in a trust fund to assist other tribal members or returned to the Elders fund. Take all the savings from the extra "benies" and give it back to the Elder fund or to someone else that needs it.
5. I will invite the tribal members to evaluate my performance publicly and heed their advice.

No big promises....I will do what I can to try to correct as many wrongs as I can in the time I am given to do it. I can only hope that we will have some good board members to work with to achieve this.

No comments:

Our right to make changes through referendum is the one voice we have left....use it.