Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9-11

Seven years ago I wandered into the employee lounge to grab a
cup of coffee to take back to my desk and stopped for a second
to watch the news. As I watched, something terrible was taking
place in New York.

How incredible that someone happened to have a video camera on
the towers as the first plane struck. All I could say was "Oh
my God!" which grabbed the attention of others in the office who
came into the lounge to see what I was watching.

As we watched, still wondering what happened that a plane would
crash into a tower in the middle of New York City, another plane
could be seen in the same area. We thought for a second that the
news station was repeating the scene but it was a second plane.

As soon as the second plane hit, I knew that this was no accident
and that we were being attacked. Shortly afterward came stories
of other planes headed for disaster.

I had often heard through the years that the Soo Locks would be a
target for attack so my first thought was for family that could be
too close to that area for comfort. I called my children and mother
and told them to head inland. Better to be safe then sorry.

As the events unfolded throughout the day, there was
no way that anyone could get any work done. Even customers at
Kmart where I worked were glued to all the television sets in
the Electronics Dept. We set up tv's throughout the store so that
regardless of where you were, you could be tuned in.

I think I stayed up all night that night watching the news as I'm
sure most of the country did. My family remained closely in touch
throughout the next few days as we shared the horror of that day
together.

But we were safe while thousands were not. So many died or were
forever maimed by the terrorists that think so little of human
life. Thousands upon thousands were forever affected by what
happened that day.

Today we need to be thankful that we are still here to remember
that day and to offer our prayers for those that died or were
injured physically or emotionally by their loss of loved ones.

Most of all, we should give thanks for those that were part of
rescue efforts and all of those who have fought for our freedoms
throughout the history of the United States. I do appreciate
what you have done for me and my family and I thank you from the
bottom of our hearts.

No comments:

Our right to make changes through referendum is the one voice we have left....use it.